Simply sautéed kale seasoned with a blast of sherry vinegar is a deluxe combination.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1-1 1/2 pounds kale, ribs removed, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons sherry vinegar or red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add kale and cook, tossing with two large spoons, until bright green, about 1 minute.
- Add water, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Push kale to one side, add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the empty side and cook garlic and crushed red pepper in it until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and toss together. Stir in vinegar to taste and salt.